We have moved a lot of people to the South West, and Devon in particular, during our time in the removals industry. We love living down here and have found there are common reasons why people move to Devon from London and “up country”.
The results of Country Life Magazine’s survey of the best place to live sums up the attractions of Devon. The county came top in 2003 and 2009 because of its scenery, tranquillity, wildlife, pubs, historic buildings, low crime rate and the general quality of life.
Moving House After Retirement
Devon and Cornwall are popular holiday destinations and the South West of England is a popular place with the retired generally. Many people choose to move down having enjoyed holidays here and are attracted by the slightly slower pace of life. In some cases, if you downsize then house prices are lower than other parts of the country and this can help make pensions go a little bit further.
Moving House To Be Close To Family and Friends
Many people move away from their home towns over the course of their careers and lives. For some people there comes a point when they want to move closer to their friends and family. Sometimes this is because of a major change in their life, such as starting a family, having grandchildren or illness, which makes them evaluate what is important.
Moving House For A Better Quality Of Life
Undoubtedly people of all ages are attracted by what they perceive as a better quality of life and work/life balance. You can enjoy the rural surroundings, whilst being close to major cities like Plymouth and Exeter and towns such as Newton Abbot and Torquay.
Other attractions include:
- Beautiful countryside, including Dartmoor and Exmoor.
- You are never far from the coast and are close to some fabulous beaches in Devon and Cornwall.
- The countryside makes Devon popular with people who enjoy outdoor pursuits, including cycling, sailing,surfing and the like.
- There is a rich history all around you in the South West and a vibrant, creative arts community.
- Us locals probably don’t appreciate it, but compared to the UK’s major cities the traffic is a lot more bearable in Devon.
- A calmer, slower environment – with lovely people like us of course!
Thinking of Moving To Devon? Contact Devon Move For a Free Removals Quote
We have over 20 years experience of helping people move house and with our Removals Head Office in Newton Abbot and removals and storage branches across the South West, we are well suited to helping you move to Devon.
To discuss your move, please freephone 0800 923 0355 or request a free no obligation removals quote via our web site.