Follow our moving house advice and tips to make your house move run smoothly.
If you need a professional removal service, Devon Move’s years of experience will make the process a whole lot easier – contact us today for a free removals quote.
Moving House Advice: Packing Tips
In order to save any strain on your lower back, it is best to start by placing your wrapping materials, tissue, newspaper, tape etc. at a comfortable height for you to work at.
Considering the amount of wrapping you could be doing, starting out like this is the best option.
Placing the box you are packing on top of a previously packed box will bring it to within a comfortable working height.
Don’t Overload Your Boxes
The temptation is to squeeze as much as possible into one box but this can make it too heavy or likely to break. To avoid this, limit the size of the box you’ll be packing so you reduce the amount of room available to you.
Secure Your Boxes
- When taping a box, be sure to use two strips of duct tape or packaging tape along the bottom.
- This will ensure the box is secure enough for carrying. If you don’t do this you run the risk of hearing the fine china hit the ground halfway down the driveway When folding the box, start with the box upside down so you have easy access to the bottom.
- When folding the box, start with the box upside down so you have easy access to the bottom.
Moving Fragile Items
- The best rule to follow when packing fragile items is to ensure that one third of the box is filled with padding.
- Line the bottom of the box with scrunched up tissue or newspaper to give your box a simple shock absorber.
- Wrap all china and glassware individually before packing Avoid using newspaper for wrapping glass and china as the newsprint can leave smudges.
- Pad the sides of boxes containing fragile items such as glassware or china Layer fragile items and include padding between layers. Also make sure you pad any empty spaces inside the boxes.
Moving Your Boxes
- Place your packed boxes near the front door but don’t obstruct it. This will allow the boxes to be moved quickly and with the least amount of fuss.
- Make sure the boxes are clearly marked so that the movers know which room to place the items in at the new house. It might also be worth adding a brief description to each box.
- Pack a box with essential items like medicines, kettle, mugs and tea and make sure that is the last item to go on to the van. After a long day moving, the last thing you want to do is hunt for the kettle!
Moving House Soon?
Request an immediate free removals quote online from Devon Move…